Wednesday, October 10, 2012

The Ups and Downs of Life

You know those days, weeks, even months where you just become stagnant in your faith? You have no desire to read the Bible, go to church, or even pray. Well if you don't know those times, just wait they will come. I have currently been in a "dry spell" or a "drought" in life (what I call those times). I just have had no desire to do anything, I even was to the point to where I didn't even want to listen to Christian music. The saddest part was that I didn't even realize I was in this spot until several days ago. Everything just hit me at once and I realized that I was not where I needed to be. At first I felt really ashamed that I had let myself get to this point, and I still am to some degree but  I also remembered that I am a human and I am going to mess up. Prime example of why I cannot live this life by myself, I really, really, really need the Lord! We all go through some really dark times in life and they are all unique and they all have a purpose! I just imagine the 3 days after Christ had been crucified how the disciples must have felt during that time. I'm sure it was a dark time for them. I sort of relate those "dry spells" with this time because they are not forever and once God reveals himself to us in this time we rejoice, just as the disciples did when Jesus arose from the grave!
Over these past few days I have been trying to understand why I got to this point, how I could have prevented it, and what was the purpose of it all? And up until last night I had zero answers for my questions. I was just having some "me" time last night, haha, and I decided to listen to some music. I typed in encouragement and the first song I saw was "Praise Him In Advance" by Marvin Sapp. I had never heard the song before, so I thought why not give it a listen. As I began to listen to the song, I felt like the whole song was about me, for me, and to me! The first verse of the song: "I’ve had my share of ups and downs. Times when there was no one around. God came and spoke these words to me, Praise will confuse the enemy." I never looked at it that way--Praise will confuse the enemy. When Satan is attacking, the best thing to do is just praise Jesus because He WILL bring you through it. I know that I always get so caught up in the world and all that it has to offer, and Satan uses that against me. He tempted Jesus so it is obviously clear that he is going to tempt us as well. I hate these times where there is a drought in life and it just seems like nothing is going right and like God isn't speaking. I also love these times because I have discovered that God has a specific purpose for these seasons in life, and that no matter what at the end of this time I will fall more deeply in love with Him and He will be glorified. It's like after you have just ran or worked out and you are so thirsty that you just want water. Like that is all that will satisfy you, only in life I sometimes seek the wrong thing to fill where Jesus (the Living Water) is supposed to be. Those are the times in life that can seem like everything is perfect until you really just sit back and evaluate your life, and you realize that yeah things are nice but what am I doing to glorify God? I began to look in the Bible and try to find some answers to help myself and whoever else might be in need of some help. I came across many verses, but Isaiah stuck out to me the most.
 “The poor and needy search for water,
    but there is none;
    their tongues are parched with thirst.
But I the Lord will answer them;
    I, the God of Israel, will not forsake them. 
 
 I will make rivers flow on barren heights,
    and springs within the valleys.
I will turn the desert into pools of water,
    and the parched ground into springs." Isaiah 41:17-18

I could tell you stories, I could even encourage you with my own words; but friends, Scripture is the BEST thing I can share with you. Nothing in me is good or even good enough to help you or myself with our problems, in our personal life and in life in general. God is truth and He is the creator of everything, so obviously the greatest advice anyone can ever give you is the Word of God. 
Another thing that I discovered, while trying to walk through this season in my life, is that we as the body of Christ need to be more open about these times in life. I know for myself I was really convicted about this. As Christians, we always think that we have to have everything together and that we have to seem like we are "sin-less". Well I am here to tell you that none of us are without sin! We are all imperfect, so let's just go ahead and accept it for what it is! Haha, seriously though. It's time that we start being real with each other, that is the only way we can grow as a body. We need each others help for when times are tough. Also the only way to reach other people is to get real with ourselves and others around us. How can we share what God has done and is doing in our lives with non-believers, if we can't even share with our family in Christ? Also I think that being honest and open allows us to work on the things we struggle with and also shows people who don't know Christ that we are not perfect that it is Christ that is perfect. 

Well guys, thanks for the time you took to read this. I am still a growing Christian so there are many more life lessons I will get to share with you guys! Ha..keep me in your prayers as I continue to follow the Lord and seek His will! I will as well keep you in my prayers, and remember it is ok to go through those dry spells. Just when you think the road has ended, you will discover that God has made a way for you and me! Sometimes the land is very dry and the only thing that can fix that is water. In life sometimes we hit tough times and the only thing that can help us is the Living Water.
"I spread out my hands to you;
    I thirst for you like a parched land." Psalm 143:6
An unworthy sinner saved by Grace,
Hannah Thompson

No comments:

Post a Comment