Friday, May 24, 2013

South Africa and how YOU can join the journey!



Dear Friends,
Hey! I hope you are having an awesome 2013; I know mine has been a blast this far. God has been teaching me some really cool stuff at New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary. I am studying Christian Ministry, and I plan on furthering my education to become an international missionary.
I surrendered to ministry in 2008, and never in my wildest dreams would I have guessed God would have me here in New Orleans serving and working towards travelling around the world! God really placed a special call on my life during 2010; God called me and placed a love that is completely indescribable for people groups overseas who have never heard of God or what He did for all of us. I began praying that the Lord would guide me on the right path as I pursued Him. My senior year of high school I remember Africa being brought up and myself being curious about the people and culture of Africa; Ever since that moment I realized that God has called me to missions, I have been praying that God would open a door for me to go (specifically to Africa if it was in His will). This prayer continued during my first year of college and on into my second year. There had been a few opportunities for me to go, but God shut those doors because He was preparing me and molding me for the right time and the right opportunity. In November 2012, God opened the right door at the right time and placed a huge burden in my heart for orphans in South Africa. I applied through the International Mission Board (IMB) and I was accepted February 2013!
On July 31st, I will be leaving for Johannesburg, South Africa, to work with an organization called Door of Hope, which is an orphanage for abandoned babies. Door of Hope has received 1,300 babies since 1999. On average there are at least three babies abandoned every day in Johannesburg, South Africa. These babies are thrown in the trash, flushed down a toilet, deserted, thrown from a building, and even wrapped in plastic bags. Most of the mom’s/parent’s literally cannot afford to take care of themselves much less a baby because of poverty. Door of Hope is saving the lives of these abandoned babies, but they cannot do it by themselves, which is why I am volunteering with them. I will serve alongside with the people there for close to five months. I will be loving on these babies, as well as feeding them, changing them, bathing them, and sharing the love of Christ through my actions and words. I will also be encountering many South Africans as I live there and I will get to know the culture and people. I am so excited to grow in the Lord and continue to love on His people.
Not only do I get to go on an amazing adventure in my life, but you do as well. God has given you a specific task in your life right now and I know He will do great things through you as well. Also you can be a part of my journey as well; you can begin praying for me as the Lord is preparing my heart and my body for this new journey in my life. I would ask that you pray for me that I proclaim the Gospel in a clear way and that every day I portray the love of Christ to every single person I meet. Also pray that God will provide safety over my travelling, and that He will provide financially for my trip. I need to raise at least $7,000. That is quite a challenge, in my book!
You can also be a part of my trip by seeking God’s direction in helping me financially. Would you consider supporting me with $25, $50, or whatever the Lord leads you to give?  I have included a link where you can give online if you would like. You can also go to Regions Bank and deposit money into the account: Hannah B Thompson South Africa Donations. Please make checks payable to Hannah Thompson. Also I am going to need to continuously be saturated in prayer. If you can be a prayer warrior for me, please contact me so that I can know to add you to my list of prayer warriors. Again, thank you for your time and thanks for helping make my opportunity to go a reality!

No comments:

Post a Comment